WHAT IS THE VIRGINIA ASSOCIATION OF CLINICAL COUNSELORS?
VACC is the state affiliate of the American Mental Health Counselors Association (AMHCA). It has regional groups throughout the state.
VACC has been expanding and protecting the interests of Clinical Counselors since 1980.
VACC currently has approximately 200 members and continues to grow in membership and influence.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE VIRGINIA ASSOCIATION OF CLINICAL COUNSELORS?
To promote the counseling profession.
- To monitor and take positions regarding legislation that affects Clinical Counselors.
- To coordinate and ally with other organizations to promote the counseling profession.
- To monitor third party payment issues and initiate appropriate action.
- To exchange information with other Clinical Counselors throughout the state.
- To promote and advocate for high standards of professional development.
- To provide a forum through which Clinical Counselors may advocate for clients.
- To promote ethical standards and conduct in the counseling profession.
- To support and promote scientific research relevant to Clinical Counselors.
WHAT HAS VACC DONE FOR CLINICAL COUNSELORS AND CLIENTS?
- Passed the first legislation in the country to license counselors.
- Passed legislation which achieved third party reimbursement for counselors.
- Passed legislation that enhanced the definitions of practice for Licensed Professional Counselors.
- Passed legislation to include LPC's in statutes which cap malpractice awards.
- Successfully lobbied to have LPC's included as Medicaid providers.
- Operates a professional advocacy committee to address discrimination in hiring or reimbursement of members.
- Negotiated with Blue Cross/Blue Shield to obtain the first third party reimbursement for counselors.
- Testifies at public hearings pertaining to legislation affecting counseling.
- Monitors legislation pertaining to counseling.
- Participates as an organizational member of Virginians for Mental Health Equity.
- Helped LPC's obtain reimbursement from the Department of Rehabilitative Services.
- Successfully nominated competent counselors to the Board of Professional Counselors, the National Board of Certified Counselors and the American Mental Health Counselors Association.
- Publishes a newsletter to keep members abreast of important developments.
- Provides conferences and workshops for professional development.
- Produces a variety of publications to assist the marketing and advocacy of LPC'S.